Subject: Re: Leica Challenge
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 18:57:13 -0500

At 07:16 PM 03-11-97 GMT, you wrote:
>At 09:31 03/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
><snip>
>>What is
>>interesting is a comparison between the 50 Summilux and 50 DR Summicron!  I
>>can see differences (not necessarily good or bad) between them!
>
>I'm curious- could you describe the differences you saw?
>
>Joe Berenbaum

The differences that I saw, and which I am pretty sure are not due to my
carelessness in the test, show up in the out of focus details ("Bokeh") in
some tree branches in the distance.  The Summilux photo (and the Minolta as
well) show the out of focus light specs are uniform disks of light, whereas
the DR Summicron has the disks rimmed with a bright edge.  A friend seemed
to prefer the DR version, stating that the background appeared a bit
sharper.  I found it looked a bit busy and preferred the smoother look of
the Summilux (and Minolta).  The DR shot MAY have been a bit sharper
overall (especially at the edges), but this may have been an artifact of
the fact that the model was not in the same position in all three shots,
and that the plane of focus was slightly different.  By the way, the
exposure was f2.8 , at 1/125 sec, for all tests using Fuji Reala.  It may
be possible to show these out of focus areas on the web.  I'll try to get
hold of a scanner and see how they look on a monitor.

Dan C.