Subject: Re: Getting serious
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 18:30:52 -0700

> Here is a warning for a new Leica owner.  Be prepared for people who are
used to seeing your Nikon (or whatever) pictures to now remark, "Wow, what
camera did you use for this picture?"  Or even, "Wow, what film did you
use?"  Honest, it will happen.  Recommended answer:  "Oh, it's just a
totally mechanical camera like the ones popular in the 40s and 50s."

I experienced this a few times after showing slides of mountaineering
trips. At high altitudes you sometimes get scenes of bright snowy peakes
against a very dark sky. I had a Leica CL with a 90mm Elmar-C and often
used Kodachrome 25. With plenty of light, you can use slow film, an optimal
F-stop, and a high shutter speed. Under these high contrast conditions the
Leica glass really shines, especially when projected on a large screen.