Subject: Hokum & Bokeh
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 07:58:05 -0700

Jeremy Kime wrote:

> All this hokum (is that a relative of bokeh?) about which lens is
> better
> than others, is far less important than getting out there and taking
> pictures.
> This is the Leica USER group after all isn't it?

Well put Jeremy!

But of course the fundamental advantage of worrying about which lens is
best under which conditions with which film and which camera, IS THAT IT
GIVES US EXCUSES WHY WE DIDN'T GET A GREAT SHOT!

"Oh, it was a great shot BUT I didn't have the right lens, the best
lens, the right film, the right camera, the lens with the best
Bokeh---blah blah blah ...excuses excuses excuses... ad infinitum."

Of course it could NEVER be the photographer, it's ALWAYS something
else.

By far the best photography teacher I ever had was John Silengo, who at
the time was the head of the El Camino College Photo Department in
Torrance California.  He was an amazingly experienced pro who counted
among his friends Steichen and Ansel Adams.

John liked to remind students that it was the photographer, NOT the
camera that took the pic.  He would go on outings with his advanced
photo classes (people who were completing the two year curriculum and
preparing for a professional career) who shot with Nikon, Canon, Leica
etc.  He would take a Kodak Pony.

He would outshoot them, and me.

He claimed that it was the photographer, not the equipment.  But in my
heart I knew that he really couldn't be the camera since he wasn't that
much better than me.  I wanted to believe his shots were better because
I didn't have the right lens, the best lens, the right film, the right
camera, the lens with the best Bokeh---blah blah blah ...excuses excuses
excuses... ad infinitum.

Alas, it was not true.  Its the photog, not the camera.  If you want
better pics, take a photography class, or better yet, go out and shoot.
Getting a new lens won't make any difference.

Regards,

Stephen Gandy