Subject: Hokum & Bokeh
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 12:19:28 -0500

Stephan Gandy wrote:

<<<Its the photog, not the camera.>>>>>>

hi Stephen,

I attended a newsphotographers seminar in 1958 where Ralph Morse of LIFE
magazine fame as our guest speaker and he was adamant about the subject
that "Equipment isn't the be all -- end all of great photographs!"

He explained and illustrated how the photographer with the simplest of gear
can get the "prize winning" picture because he or she knows and feels what
works, compared to the photographer with $50,000 in the worlds best gear
who doesn't have a clue!

Anyone can go out and buy every single piece made by Leica or any other
manufacturer and still have their butt shot off by a photograoher who knows
which corner to go into for the picture.

We all have been asked what kind of camera to buy to take great pictures,
as so many folks believe the camera is the true answer to getting the best
picture in the world.

As you say, "Its the photog, not the camera!" But so many photographers,
pros and amateurs, still believe the camera and gear is the answer to great
photos.

There is a bit of truth to that, in that a particular lens allows the
photographer to capture certain images, but the content of the image, the
light and all those other factors that come from within the photographer is
still the most importatnt factor in putting it correctly on film.

But then there was I time in most of our careers that we also believed that
"if I only owned" etc, etc etc.", I'd be the greatest also. :)

ted