Subject: Re: Leica R questions
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 15:58:33 -0800

BBAIN wrote:
>      OK, another day at the soccer pitch has convinced me that a 135mm
>      simply isn't long enough (the first field day I haven't had to coach a
>      game in a while), and She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed has given the green light
>      to at least look at a SLR (gasp, 25 years with nothing but my M3, last
>      SLR was a Nikon F with Photomic head). She's holding out for a Nikon
>      AF, but used R3s and R4s seem to be about the same $$ as Leicaflex
>      SL2, so would anybody care to compare the R3 and R4 to its later
>      brethren?  I would be using the camera almost solely for shooting
>      soccer from the sidelines outdoors,

B,
Frankly, if that is your major use, get a N70 or something cheap and add
a used 80-200 ($500-800) and maybe a 300 f/4 ($600-700) both AF.  Or
Canon equivalent and spend what you would save on more Leica M.  The
80-200 is good behind goal and the 300 okay for midfield.  I've coached
since my daughters were five years old and my youngest was selected as
"All American" last year.  The only game on the planet that can hold my
interest! (Well, maybe, except the one between men and women)

Donal Philby
San Diego