Subject: Leica photog now Magnum
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 21:14:38 -0500

I had the privilege of meeting David Allen Harvey again today and he was
gracious as always. He has just been inducted into Magnum as a full member
in June of this year. He showed us the pictures he showed them that brought
him the promotion from associate. Very nice set.  His work is maturing to
be the equal of most any other photographer out there. The many layers to
his work are like an onion. Just keep peeling away the layers, and more is
in there as you dig down. I  hope some day I can produce such complex,
interesting kinds of pictures.

He also brought along some nicely printed "portfolios" of his work. Not
many pictures, but very large format. Sold them for $10 and autographed them!

What a day! Two other National Geographic photographers (Lynn Johnson and
Joel Sartore) were there to show their work, and some other prominent
photojournalists. It was quite the stimulating day! I'm ready to get out
there and shoot!

Back to Mr. Harvey. His current style of shooting is almost exclusively
with the M6 and 35mm Summilux. He didn't say which model. But he also
sometimes shoots with the 28 Elmarit. He started his career with a IIIF and
50mm lens. No self-respecting student would dare try to start a career with
such a simple kit. Yet he is one of the best in the world, and he's still
pretty much using such a zen-like simple approach. He says such discipline
helps free him to make the kinds of pictures that mean the most to him.

He's been forcing himself to shoot an essay he's doing on NASCAR with
velvia. Some of it at night! Just to push himself.  Quite interesting, and
stimulating.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a
child.

Ron Wild