Subject: Re: f4/180 Elmar R
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 06:21:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

In a message dated 97-10-21 12:53:20 EDT, David Young wrote:

<< I own a 180 f4 Elamar-R.  It's quite small, light (relatively) and tack
 sharp. I'm **very** happy with mine and have not seen the pincushion
 distortion that Will von Dauster found in his.  (Maybe just a diffence
 between samples?) >>

The distortion I refered to was only visible to me when photographing
architectural details, ie when there were obvious straight lines along the
edges of the image. No worse, certainly than any number of zoom lenses at
similar focal lengths. For landscapes, people, and the rare wildlife shot, it
was quite good. I would give a slight edge to the heavier and now
discontinued Zeiss f3.5/200mm Tessar for the current Contax series.

Will von Dauster