Subject: Re: Off topic - slide film reviews
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 07:22:07 -0800

Garbutt, Robert wrote:
> The rest of my shots with Velvia equally impressed me with their
> liveliness.  It handles the pure colours of flowers and sky amazingly
> well and understands what responsiveness to beauty means.  It has a good
> exposure latitude and so is forgiving to clowns like me.  No problem for
> use in shadows.  I'm glad I took it along and would swap my rolls of
> RSX100 and K200 for it any day.  Book me a seat on the Velvia bus -
> we'll form a convoy.

Robert:
Thanks for nice report.  You might try Kodak E100SW.  You will find
colors almost as intense and warm as the Velvia and the skin tones are
significantly less red (sunburned!).  The E100S has become my standard
film (especially for people), with velvia reserved for landscapes and
boats.

Recently I am especially impressed at how wonderful Velvia looks
overexposed.  You can do backlit scenes, opening up at least a stop or
stop and a half and the highlight areas register almost normally.
Wonderful.  But don't underexpose it.  NO-NO.

Donal Philby
San Diego