Subject: David Alan Harvey techniques
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 08:21:07 -0800

LUGnuts,
Having just returned from seeing (among others) David Alan Harvey at the
NPPA Flying Short Course, I was pleasantly surprised to check mail and
find newest edition of National Geographic Traveler magazine with cover
article by Harvey.

It is a long article on Puerto Rico.  Also in the issue is an article
based on interview with Harvey by Bob Krist in which Harvey outlines
much of his minimal technique and philosophy.  Well worth reading.

It echoes much of what he said at the presentation.  At the FSC, Harvey
also showed a 10 minute film by his son of him shooting many of the
photos in the article on Puerto Rico.

Harvey primarily uses an M6, a 35mm lens and occasionally a small
vivitar strobe.

I found much of the work he presented (which was presented to Magnum) a
bit obtuse, enigmatic and vague.  Which means I liked them a lot, but
wondered how he gets much published in mainstream media.  But the
article on Puerto Rico is quite beautiful and straight forward.  So he
knows to shoot for himself and shoot for the editors.

Donal Philby
San Diego