Subject: Re: Danny / Leica Luxus
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 05:43:17 -0400 (EDT)

 Danny - Just for kicks - check out the epitome of Leica camera rarities ---
 The !A Luxus ( gold plated with special reptile skin cover ) There were
 about 200 authentic ones made around 1932 and there must be at least
 another 2,500 fakes.  The originals are now valued at $40,000 and the
 fakes at $2000 & I don't mean the Russian fakes which are very crude
 and still bring close to $500.

  The LUXUS was made by Leitz for those wealthy snobs that wanted
 more than just an "instant rarity" - They wanted something that others
 didn't have.  There have probably been more counterfeit Luxus Leicas
 made from other "real" Leicas of that period, than any other camera.

   Marc - Is it proper to say Leicas plural or should it be just Leica?

   Marvin

 <<
 Does anyone out there know of a special edition M or R camera that resells
 for the value of a non-dressed one? I know SE's are a fairly recent phenom
 and so, it won't be possible to call the results 'absolute'. I shouldn't
 have used the word in the first place. The challenge still has legs though
 and I find this an interesting look into the way you (Marc, Stephen,
 Marvin, others) perceive the Leica 'instant collectable' species.

 Danny Gonzalez