Subject: Re: R8 and ROM
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 17:08:40 +0100

There is another good reason to use lenses with a ROM contact on a Leica R8.
According to Brian Bower in his book "Leica reflex photography" (new edition
1997), the contact strip provides information for dedicated flash guns (such
as the Metz Mecablitz 32 MZ-3 with SCA 3000 system adapter for the R8) and
also to enable more precise stopping down of lenses when the camera is in
automatic shutter speed priority or program operating modes. This was
confirmed to me by the Leica Information Service in Solms.
So, the bottom line is that, although not necessary, the ROM contacts can
actually improve your system accuracy under some circumstances.
I paid 7500 Belgian francs (that is 200 USD) for conversion of my
Summicron-R 50mm f/2.0. All my R lenses are now ROM equipped.

Pascal
Belgium
Message created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook
<<<PGP public key available on request>>>