Subject: Leica R questions
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 12:19:11 -0500

BBAIN wrote:
<<< and She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed has given the green light to at least look
at a SLR (gasp, 25 years with nothing but my M3, last SLR was a Nikon F
with Photomic head). She's holding out for a Nikon AF, but used R3s and R4s
seem to be about the same $$ as Leicaflex SL2, so would anybody care to
compare the R3 and R4 to its later brethren? >>>>>>

For what it's worth, forget the R3! Any R3, even if you get one "free" and
if you did, sell it right away and the same goes for the very earliest of
R4's. Some one can give you the start point for higher serial numbers for
R4's where the innards were changed and it became a great camera without
malfunctioning every twenty minutes or days.

The higher serial numbered R4 or any later version R camera "with motor"
would be fine. I realize the motor is extra dollars, but with a very fast
moving sport as soccer the motor is without question an asset.

Next thing "the lens!": at least a 280mm!  Been there shot that sport many
many times and if you want great action pictures you need a 280 as first
choice.  Of course I would say that it being the most expensive.
But the 250mm f.4 is quite OK if you can find one at a good price. Or
possibly there is a 350 f.4.8 I think, never used one other than some
testing. It just might be a cheap lens as I don't think many shooters keep
them.

Another one you can look for which might come along very economically is
the sliding focus barrel 400 f. 6.8, a Telyt I believe. It might be a tad
long for you at the beginning until you get the feel of it, but at a good
price go for it. But it will take a bit of getting used to, but once you
have the feel it will put you right on the field with the players!

<<so exotic flash features and stuff like that are not factors>>>>>

There are no exotic flash features required when shooting soccer.:)

<<The season is almost over, so I'll have all winter to search out a good
one.  Thanx in advance!>>>>>>>

Start looking and who knows you may find an R7 complete with motor at a
good price and if you do, go for it and if it comes with the electric
shutter release hand grip, that's the best one until the R8 comes out with
motor. :)

ted

The shorter you get, IE: 180, 135, 100, you will not be satisfied with the
size of the image, particularly the great action stuff by the goalie.