Subject: Re: Leica R questions
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:02:44 -0800

At 06:24 PM 10/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Jim Brick wrote:
>
><<<This I really do not understand (not your statement, the fact that this
>was not a popular lens) why.>>>>
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>I think it just wasn't fast enough for many of the Leica sports or news
>photographers who required to shoot indoors often. Or night action games. I
>used one during the Winter Olympics at Lake Placid in 1980 and I could
>never get the right feel of it, so never pursued getting one.  I really
>wanted a faster lens and knew that a 280 or 300 2.8 or 2 was in the works.
>
>ted

Sounds reasonable. I don't do sports, mostly still stuff on a tripod where
the max f/stop makes little difference. However, I have used it for
surfers, sea creatures, and the like with much success. Still always on a
tripod. This is probably why they make so many different lenses. Three
180's, three 35's, yikes! Everyone has their preferences.

Thanks Ted,

Jim