Subject: Re: Shooting B & W
From: Francesco Ricci <ricci@itc.it>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:34:32 +0100 (MET)

>       Off and on, I enjoy shooting b & w with Ilford Delta 100.  I am
>      generally not satisfied with the results.  The prints do not stand up,
>      which means that contrast lacks, I think.  I have not use any filters
>      at all except UV to enhance contrast.  Is it why?  I tried Zeiss
>      50/1.5 Sonnar and Leica 35/2.8, 50/2 and 135/2.8.  Overall I had
>      better results from Leica lenses.  Any suggestion?

Generally speaking, is a matter of development. I've used both Delta
(100/400) and TMax and I do believe that delta film is better than Tmax. I
currently use TMax only because I cannot find in Italy 30mt packages of
Delta. In the past I shoot a lot with HP5+ that is an excellent film.

You must tailor your development process. Contrast is related to develoment
time and agitation. So maybe you have not found the right combination.
You can obtain wonderful results with delta films.

- -francesco

Francesco Ricci, IRST, Loc. Pante' di Povo, 38050 Trento, Italy
Tel: ++39-461-314334, Fax: ++39-461-302040, email: ricci@irst.itc.it
WWW   http://mnemosyne.itc.it:1024/ricci