Subject: Re: Special M6's & Mr.Chatterton
From: Pixoptik@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:38:19 -0400 (EDT)

 Marc etal,

  Mr.Chatterton is a true Leica Camera Dealer and doesnt deal in Leica
 Specials since a boxed & new Comm. will lose its market value when it
 is used to take pictures exactly the same as a Comm coin will lose it
 value when used as specie.  Both the Franklin Mint & Leica caters to
 the Comm collector, of which there are many, when producing these
 so called "Special Editions". Franklin Mint has produced silver Comms
 for almost any reason, just has Leica is doing with the Bruckner etc.
 They do this since there seems to be a market for them and with the
 exception of the M6 Jubilee, they all are just regular M6s.

   The M6 "J" is a completely different animal in that its features are
 desirable both to me and to many others that would pay a nominal
 premium for them, but as a "Jubilee Special" the price is insipient.

 The crux of the matter (which is obvious to even a newbie like me)
 is that this is the "Leica Users Group" and some of us are extremely
 biased to just that & have no tolerance for the collector or especially
 the collector of "Specials", which certainly won't be used.  Some of
 us are more biased than others in thinking that the M6 or R8 are the
 greatest invention since the wheel but I think they ought to put their
 photos where their mouth is.  I would highly suggest that a "web site"
 of a Luggers photos be required.  I have already visited many from the
 links offered by Steve & others and think you all should visit them.

<<
 Speak to the larger Leica dealers, Tillis and Chatterton and Arnie Duren
 and Stan Tamarkin.  Better yet, read their lists:  I don't believe
 Chatterton will deal in these at all, and certainly the others, when they
 offer them, have them sitting on their lists for months on end.

 Marc