Subject: Re: Leica quality in large format lenses?
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:23:10 -0500 (EST)

Some time ago, actually years ago, I tried the 280/4,8 and the 200/4 as large
format lenses. Using an old Speed Graphic and a lens mount consisting mostly
of gaffers tape and cardboard the result come out as follows. The 200/4
lenshead ( if you use the mount it makes it difficult to focus) covers 6x9 cm
with some movement and the 280/4,8 covers 4" by 5" with very little movement
allowed. Quality of neg with both lenses was excellent. The 280 is supposedly
an off spring of a US Navy aerial lens design. I also tried it on my Sinar,
making a mount from 4 ply board and again gaffer taping it on ( do NOT get
sticky stuff on the threads, it really makes it difficult to put the lenshead
back in the mount!!!). Using the old " 1 mississipi, 2 mississipi etc" it
worked very well, particularly in close up. The original Hektor is supposed
to cover 6x9 cm too as is the Elmar 135. I know of adaptations of 135 Hektors
and 280's to Hasselblad mounts and I have seen the result, very impressive.
At the other end of the spectrum, there is a Leica Macro Cinegon 10mm/1,8
lens that was used on the Leicina 8 mm camera. This lens has a M-mount on it
and and will give you a 22mm round fisheye image on 35 film. Very sharp and
it will close focus to 8" ( does not couple to the rangefinder, use a tape
measure). Beware of the fact that it will close down to total blackout ( fade
in/ fade out on moviecameras) so watch your f-stops. Beyond f22 you can get
REALLY thin negs!.This is the fun part of shooting with Leicas, when in doubt
improvise and enjoy. The Macro Cinegon shows up at swap meets with some
frequency at prices between $100 to $300, it has some practical application
for close up of insides of machinery and could be used for architectural
model shoots too. Imagine what a mess you could create with the 6-66mm
Optivaron zoom on a M!! I haven't tried that one yet, but if I ever find the
lens I will,
Tom A