Subject: ROLL CALL
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 20:43:41 -0500 (EST)

Tom Abrahamsson, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
54 years old (or young, depends on viewpoint)
 I was born in Sweden but left in 1969 as I was too extroverted for Ingma=
Bergaman=92s native land.
Married for 30 years last July, no kids, and our cat Norman died in 1990.
Tuulikki, my Finnish wife (an economist, a rather good shooter) is  my be=
st
friend and also the most avid supporter to whatever harebrained scheme I =
come
up with.
Somewhat mixed educational background, BA in Journalism, a degree in Clin=
ical
Chemistry (only practical use so far is in mixing strange developers) and=
degree in Industrial Design (unfortunately the school was preoccupied wit=
water pitchers, no camera designs).
Over the years I have been a journalist, a photographer, a photojournalis=
t=20
(logical so far), an editor (I know, but I wanted to feel what omnipotenc=
felt like), a teacher, telephone cable plant designer, research photograp=
her
and test equipment designer for a concrete research institute, travel
writer/shooter, technical writer, corporate communications manager, graph=
ic
designer, industrial photographer and the last ten years the manufacturer=
 of
the Rapidwinder.=20
 We, Tuulikki and I also managed to travel around the world in
1970/71(started of in a Land Rover, arrived back to Sweden in a 1949 Bent=
ley
(82cents and 1/2 tank of gas at the end of the trip, good planning). Took
another Landrover across Canada to Alaska in 1974, did the =93square=94 i=
 Australia in 1986/87  and lived in Paris 1982/83. At no time during this
time was I without a Leica (there was a short period when I was using Nik=
ons,
but we are all allowed periods of insanity.)
 At the time of writing, we have lived in 7 countries on 3 continents and
wherever we go I search for the perfect darkroom and the perfect cafe!
Equipmentwise: I have probably used most photographic equipment manufactu=
red,
filmsizes ranging from Minox to 8x10 and most of the brands. At one time =
accumulated ALPA=92s ( only odd numbered models. 1,3,5,7,9,11=92s etc) bu=
t that=92s
all when it comes to collectibles. At the moment I have a rather large nu=
mber
of Leica M=92s, virtually every model except the M5 and the MP ( the firs=
t one
is too big, the 2nd one too expensive and I can make my own if I need it).
Almost a complete set of M-lenses, some in multiples ( 6 35=92s! and 8 50=
=92s), I
do not have the 135/2,8 and the reason is that I dont like it! My Hologon=
 is
chipped and dented and too slow. If I had to cut down to one camera/one l=
ens
it would have to be a M2 with a 35/2, but I would try to sneak my 21/3,4
along if at all possible. I have accumulated a dozen M2=92s and can now r=
eveal
the fact that I always praised the M3 so that people would buy that one a=
nd
leave the M2=92s for me!!
 Wherever we live I set out to build the perfect darkroom, they never get
fully finished but always work. I use a Focomat 2c for my printing and al=
so
have a ELCAN 121 Point source enlarger ( built by Ernst Leitz Canada for =
the
US Navy in the 70=92s), this is a ultra high resolution enlarger, built o=
n the
2Cchassi. According to Leitz specs, it can resolve up to 270 lines/mm on =
the
easel! Too bad the paper only can handle 40 lpm.
 Film, well I started with a M3 when I was 14 in 1957 and started with TR=
I-X
and in spite of having tried and used most of the other brands of film,
that=92s the one I use. There are few international phrases as widely
understood as =93 D-76, 1:1 for 10 min at 70 F=94.
 Aspirations for the future: There are many places we haven=92t been to, =
many
shots I haven=92t taken yet and I also need to clean the camera cabinet a=
nd
organize my neg files.
I take pictures because I love photography, I use Leica=92s because they
translate what I see in a way that satisfies me.=20
 Happiness is a new place, a M camera and a 35, a pocket full of Tri-X an=
all the time you need!( actually, true happiness is the M2/35 and a M3/90=
/2,8
and 2 pockets filled with Tri-X)
 I am not a collector of cameras, but I do have a somewhat fatal weakness=
 for
photographic books, mostly photojournalism. The overflow pile would excee=
d 8
feet if it was stacked in one pile, we live in a earthquake zone so it is=
 now
divided in four 2 ft stacks. Need more bookshelves!
I like the LUG,  I am not alone in my =93M=94adness. I am not a great par=
ticipant
in groups etc, but I have stayed a member of the LHSA for 10 years and en=
joy
my annual treck to the meeting. The LHSA is slowly changing to a
shooter/collector society and the late evening sessions at the bar can be
truly fun.
 Philosophy of life: No car shall cost more than a 50 Summicron, current
vehicle is a dented, unwashed and missing 1 hubcab 1978 Cadillac Seville.=
am waiting for Leica to raise the price on the S-cron so I can get more
variety in vehicles. The $100 rebate really screwed up my selection!
Tom A
Tom Abrahamsson
TTAbrahams@aol.com
=93Life is not a dress-rehearsal