Subject: Re: Getting serious
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:47:46 -0600

At 08:21 AM, you wrote:

>It seems that Adam's work is not "PC".=A0 I'm not really sure why.=A0=20

Typical artist's snootery. If he's popular with the masses, he can't be
good. If he bucks conventions (how ironic I can't express) of the "arts,"
is a curmudgeon who doesn't mind saying Diane Arbus is a fraud (everyone is
entitled to their opinion), and he doesn't photograph the politically
correct subjects, and revels in (ugh!) beauty, then he ought to be drummed
out of the "artist corps." In other words, he ain't Mapplethorp, or Joel
Peter Witkin, Larry Clark, or (insert outrageous artist's name here).

Well, the bottom line, I think, is jealousy that he became a millionaire
off the sale of his art. That his work celebrates beauty, avoids the
"trash-can school of photography, and people like it. But it took him
almost his whole life to do it. Unlike these overnight wonders who produce
navel-gazing shrill attempts at a significant "statement." Eminently
forgettable. They hate that.

Other than that, I'm not sure.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Politics: Poli (many) - tics (blood sucking parasites)