Subject: Holding Back or Feeling
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:58:18 -0500

Donal Philby wrote:

<<<< Like all art forms, photography demands that we look both inside and
outside at the same time we push the button. >>>>>>

Hi Donal,

That is what I believe to be right on the mark of succssful photographers
and photographs in most cases!

I shoot more from feeling or motivation of the moment, than any other
reason that could be explained. I guess it is a motivational / gut  thing
rather than a technical moment that triggers me to squeeze the shutter
release.

<<<And when I try too hard to make beautiful compositions, I get stilted
photos.>>>>>>>>

That's a draw back for me also when I "start thinking" about what I see,
rather than just feeling it and shooting. Your gut tells you as much as
your eyes when to press the button.

Sometimes when I'm screening a shoot or looking at contact sheets, much
like you, there is that one little sparkly image sitting there and I
quietly say to myself (jokingly of course), "damn I'm good!" :) Then I
kinda smile and feel all nice and warm inside. That is what makes shooting
by emotion much more satisfying than by thinking.:)

Many years ago when I worked with Hasselblads I used them three at a time:
SWC, 500C with an 80mm and 500C with a 150mm or 250mm. I just couldn't work
off a tripod and when I did, all the pictures looked so fixed, static with
no magic to them.  It nearly always made me want to throw-up as I hadn't
caught the "motivating element" of the fleeting moments as quickly as with
the Leicas.

So the next day it was back to winging it along with the Leica's and the
"feel good" element of picture taking. :)

ted