Subject: Re: Adams
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 22:27:13 -0600

At 02:02 PM, you wrote:

>What epitomizes Adams prints are their craftsmanship, scale, and B&W
>impressionist on the spot camerawork. He may not have been a purist, but he
>was absolutely honest in revealing how he made each published print.=20

A story I remember was told me by a friend of my parents, Ed White, who was
shop foreman of the San Francisco Chronicle years ago. He told me that
Adams was a major pain to work with whenever they published one of his
pictures. He stood looking over Ed's shoulder the whole time, insisting
they bump this shadow, flash that highlight until it was just right.  He
admitted pictures never reproduced better than those, but he always dreaded
a visit from Ansel and his high standards. He respected him for it, even so.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Thought for the day:
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 As always, avoid alliteration