Subject: Re: plastic in M lens
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:27:24 -0500

At 09:47 AM 31-10-97 -0600, Eric wrote:

>Plastic is not all bad. Canon has had great success with it in their EOS1n.
>As rugged a camera as there is (Leica M6 excepted).  Plastic can actually
>have some superior characteristics to metal. It doesn't bend permanently as
>easily, it can be as strong or stronger, and it's lighter.
>
>So, what kind of plastic has to be addressed before it can be considered a
>criticism, no?

My Minolta 9xi is plastic bodied, and even though I've put over 500 rolls
of film through it, there is not a single mark anywhere, except for one
spot on the base plate where the black finish has worn through to the zinc
metal (the only metalic part of the outer shell of the camera).  The camera
as a whole feels very solid, as much so as my M6.  So I would tend to agree
with Eric; plastic is not neccessarly bad.

Dan C.