Subject: Re: plastic in M lens
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 15:31:19 -0500

Plastic has significant advantages in the construction of a lens, as it
serves to cushion shocks.  An all-metal lens transmits any shock to the one
malleable element in the lens, the glass, which then breaks.  Plastic, on
the other hand, absorbs a lot of the shock.

I have (by accident, guys!) tossed all-metal and metal-and-plastic lenses
across the room.  The all-metal boys died.  The metal-and-plastic ones lived.

Given the price charged for Leica lenses, I'm glad the manufacturer is
concerned over in-use longevity.  Makes me thing the Mavens of Solms DO
care about us!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!