Subject: Re: R8 & standards
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 00:12:00 -0500

Eric wrote:

<<Okay. Let's get this straight. A few people have returned R8s. I know two
guys who had problems with R8s early on. Ted. How many do you know?>>

Hi Eric,

Well we know right here on the LUG there are two photographers who had
glitches in December 96. The cameras were replaced and one of those went
off as well, but all were immediately replaced without question as it
should be for an instrument of this caliber.

<<<This is the first ALL LEICA slr to come out in two decades. Surely we
have to give Leica some time to work out the bugs.>>>>>>>

I agree Eric, surely is it not reasonable to expect under the circumstances
that some wierd things might show up?  As far as I know there hasn't been a
mass crash and burn in great numbers requirng a re-call of all the cameras.

The R8 could have been a complete disaster given it was probably "rushed a
little" to make the '96 Photokina and because of that, I feel the
motor/winder situation became hung-up. At the moment it appears the winder
will be available by January '98 and the motor June 98

All in all the R8 really is a very fine camera IMHO! :) <bg> And given mine
(touch wood) has now been used every week since I received it in Dec 96 and
functioned flawlessly for 11 months at the moment.

I don't have any problems with it and it has met all "my standards!" for
survival and image making, regardless what Alf's connection may have told
him.

ted