Subject: Re: Roll call
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 00:05:07 -0600

At 06:41 PM, you wrote:

>> ... as I move to digital imaging at work.
>
>Do list conventions permit a brief discussion of this?

Sure, I think I can make it work. At least, for what is appropriate.

Digital imaging is not there, yet. By that, I mean digital cameras can
pretty much match film for pictures up to about 8x10 inches- and an
equivalent of 400 ISO negative film. In other words, for most newspaper
work, digital is fine, since we pretty much print on toilet paper.

But when the light gets low, and nasty,and light sources occur in the
frame, digital falls apart. I have pictures, which I'll be adding to my web
page soon which are shot in this kid of light. (There are some of the
already there).

So how does Leica fit into this? The M6 is the perfect camera to be a
counterpart to digital imaging. First of all, the image in film is still
superior, and it will be for quite some time. At least for light-travelling
street photography. And available light work. Digital cameras with any kind
of image quality are monstrous in size. Think the Nikon F5 is big? Check
out the Canon DCS3!

So I am putting together an M6 system to complement my Canon digital
system. And get this, the Leica system will be less than $10,000 for an M6,
21 ASPH, 35 1.4 ASPH and 75mm Summilux. (Actually, about $7,500). I'm
paying for that. My digital Canon system will be $33,000.  My company is
buying that.  No way I am.

Any questions?

So, anybody out there ready to go digital with me? ;-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

More hay, Trigger? No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!