Subject: Re: REPRISE: Gummit Spending
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 21:04:34 -0600

At 10:25 AM, you wrote:

>Definitions of art vary, Alf.=A0 It would be wrong for me to steal your=
 money

First of all, this is an inaccurate characterization. The Government is
going to have the money anyway (unfortunately), and by democratic process
decide where it's going to go. Life if not for the NEA, then probably for
some study of underwater basket weaving in Tahiti. That is not stealing. It
may be dumb, and inappropriate, but in a democracy, it's no more stealing
than building roads. Let's get the facts here without hyperbole, please?=20

But that being said, there is a lot of wisdom in what you are saying. Art
does need to be mostly supported by the wealthy people in the world who
could do worse with their charitable contributions. Yet, to promote art in
schools (encouraging kids to draw, dance, speak, buy Leicas) is a good
thing if you ask me. Maybe we need to separate the two, supporting art
education - where there is no judgement of what art is, just helping kids
learn to express themselves - and artists?=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The distinction between past, present and future is only an illusion, even
if a stubborn one. - Albert Einstein