Subject: Re: Hit a nerve
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 23:55:05 -0800

At 11:03 AM 11/1/97 -0700, John Van Stelten wrote:
>Marc James Small wrote:
>>If art can't survive on its own merits, let it go under.
>>Leave my bloody goods and possessions, few as they are, alone, PLEASE!
>
>Absolutely correct!!!
>
>John
>focalpt@ecentral.com
>
>Remember, Government cannot give to the people anything that it has not
>already taken from them.

Folks, I would like to ask that we all call a halt, at least temporarily,
to this sort of political discussion.  We don't all agree on these things
(for example, I don't agree with the sentiments expressed above), but there
are many things about which the members of any group will disagree, and the
success of mailing lists in providing a positive experience for members
depends to some extent on the willingness of those involved to set aside
their differences about extraneous topics and concentrate on the subject
matter at hand.  As an example of what can go wrong if we fail to set aside
our differences on extraneous topics, I think we can all imagine that a
discussion of religious beliefs on this mailing list could lead to strong
disagreements and lots of hard feelings about something that does not have
direct bearing on the topic of our mutual interest.  So can we leave
politics out of this, please?  If we can't, I'm going to express my
opinions too, and so are other people, and it'll just lead to a slugfest
that isn't really relevant in this context.

- -Patrick