Subject: Re: Hit a nerve
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 06:48:49 -0700

On  1 Nov 97,  Patrick G. Sobalvarro wrote:

<snip>

>So can we leave politics out of this, please?  If we can't, I'm going
>to> express my opinions too, and so are other people, and it'll just
>lead to a slugfest that isn't really relevant in this context.

Absolutely correct, Patrick. I know from past posts that you and I will
disagree on these matters, but this subject, and its discussion, has no
place on a Leica dedicated list. It's political and belongs on
political lists. You risk alienating subscribers who come to the list
BECAUSE it is dedicated.

I dabbled in this discussion, but have resisted, mightily, the urge to
really get in to it. Patrick and I, and most of the rest of the
subscribers are only human, however, and if this continues, those with
opinions will wade in, those put off by the discussion will fade away,
thus depriving us of their input, and the whole list will blow up in
our face, requiring the survivors to begin from the ground up.

Learn that a dedicated list is exactly that. It doesn't mean "all
things to all participants"! Learn to use the various fora for their
purposes. Don't come to a dedicated forum and expect have all your
Leica, general photographic, political, ethical, moral and social
interests handled there.

We seem to be looking for a soap box, from which we can express how
right thinking we are about everything. This is NOT THE PLACE. GET ON
TOPIC!

- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer