Subject: Re: 70-180 Vario Apo Elmarit R
From: "Jorg Willems" <jorg@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 08:01:50 -0500

>Could any LUG subscriber who has the privilege of owning this exotic lens
>be able to give a first hand account of its performance? Does it justify
>the cost to the end-consumer or is Leica merely trying to promote some
>high-end products to keep up with its image? For its price range, one can
>alternatively opt for a couple of ED or 'L' zoom lenses from Nikon or
>Canon.
>
>Paul Chan

Hi Paul:

I have little personal experience with the lens because I like to use M.
My wife uses the lens almost every day for more than 6 months.  At the
beginning she was ready to give it back because of the size and weight, but
she decided to give it a serious try.  Now she is in love with the lens!
She uses it a lot for formal wedding pictures and portraits.  The majority
is taken in natural settings (parks or back yard).  She praises the details
in the shadows, color rendering and complete control of DOF, because the
lens performs exceptionally well at all openings.
Yesterday she made B/W pictures of a family late in the evening in the park,
lens completely open at 2.8.  She immediately developed and analyzed with
loupe.  Unbelievable details in shadows.  She song the praises of the lens
again and again!  I agree with her (hey, you learn after 29 years ;-)).  No,
seriously, the lens re-defines zoom lens quality, or better lens quality,
period.  Too bad the picture on her webside
http://www.mindspring.com/~kati/page2.html (the wedding picture) can't
reproduce what I mean.

Does it justify the cost?  That's a very personal question and not
transferable.  Does my Noctilux justify the cost?  I know only very few
people that think it does.  I won't tell in the office and I won't tell my
Mom what I paid for it.  They think already now that I'm nuts.

Can't you rent the lens and try it?  In Atlanta I know a place where you
can.

Regards Jorg