Subject: R8 motor-winder or motor-drive?
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 16:26:36 +0100

Although probably a bit early (hmm... one can always live on hope), I am not
sure whether to choose for either the motor-winder or the motor-drive for
the R8 - that is when they become available.
Speed is not that important for me (2 fps or 4 fps) as I don't do sports or
other fast actions.
So, choice would normally go to the motor-winder which has the double
advantage of being lighter/smaller and being available months before the
motor-drive.
On the other hand, the motor-drive has two big advantages over the
motor-winder: there are two additional shutter release buttons (one
vertical), and -above all- it operates on standard AA-batteries and not the
exotic and more expensive type 123 lithium cells (the same ones as in the R8
body).
I am afraid that the 2 lithium cells in the motor-winder will be
drained-down rather quickly, which could result in high maintenance costs.
The 8 AA-batteries of the motor-drive will almost surely last as long, and
even if this were not the case, they can be replaced at a modest price (and
these batteries are ubiquitous, so you won't get stuck somewhere in a remote
place which doesn't sell the lithium type).

Anyone has any thoughts on this?

Pascal
Belgium
Message created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook
<<<PGP public key available on request>>>