Subject: Re: Leica Care
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 10:57:48 -0500

Al:

Here's one man's opinion. With point light sources I have had many problems
with reflections. So I never use filters in low light situations with
candles, light bulbs, even the moon in the frame. Other than that, I can't
say that I see any sharpness or tonal decline using CLEAN filters. But,
because they are so much bigger than the actual front element glass, I just
can't keep filters clean. I find that it's much easier to keep a filterless
lens clean, and that the Leica lens hoods work better without a filter
because the first glass surface is so much farther back. The hood on the
35mm summicron, for example, is so deep that you'd have to work pretty hard
to get something other than light dust on that front element. I keep a
static wisk in my bag and clean the dust at the end of each day. It keeps
my lenses spanking new clean. I only use filters when there is a serious
debris risk: fires, blowing sand or salt spray.

I'll be interested to read what other do.

Tom