Subject: I respectfully disagree with Ted ;-)
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 18:51:15 -0500

Jorg wrote:

<<Sorry this got so long.  I am speaking from my heart:>>>>>

Hi Jorg and Kati,

No need to apologize, that's the way the best things are written: from the
heart! :)

<<<<<Therefore I am looking for those 'recipes' or set of rules that makes
it more likely to get a good picture.>>>>>

Jorg it is very simple after you learn the basics of picture taking in
relation to people: Light -- eyes -- action of subject. Light being the
most important, as that is the motivating factor that we see on the
subject. Action because that is a motion that catches our eyes to something
happening and what the eyes of the subject are illustrating.

The light is an easy rule to learn and see, "Shoot from the shadow side!"
That is rule number one!  And if you watch for that in all your picture
taking you'll find it works about 99.99999999999% of the time for an
effective photograph.

Remember what I said about, "We hear with our ears, but we listen with our
eyes!" And that is one of the basics of whether it's a posed picture or
real time and the people have no idea you have taken their picture.

<<Sometimes the music flows and sometimes it's not as fluid, but we still
recognize the melody.>>>>>

That is just as true with taking pictures as it is with music. Some days
you can't take a bad picture, everything is just flowing along and the
camera is hot from the exposures being shot. Hardly a bad one in the bunch.

THEN THERE ARE THOSE DAYS WHEN..........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! And you
can't even get the film in the camera right or hell you forget to load it!
:)  I don't believe there is a photographer who has 365 days of perfect
picture taking. And if there is I'd sure like to know who he or she is.:)

<<<I would like to learn to push the shutter release at the right location
at the right time.>>>>>

This comes from experience, how you are feeling personally, the action
going on around you. The more you shoot the odds are in your favour you are
going to get better! And that's a fact of photography.  What's important
is, don't work at it too hard and not in a severe method manner, because if
you do your pictures are going to look stilted, boring and contrived.

An important factor is how you feel about what is motivating you. Does
something catch your eye and you say, "gee look at that!" and you are
motivated by some visual element. It doesn't have to be some big flashy
spectacular thing, it can be a small leaf floating on a pool of water or a
reflection in a window or metal.

When you are using your eyes and you "feel something" that's when you press
the button! You heard me say. "I'm not technically minded or driven in how
I take my pictures." The truth is, experience creates the technical part
without me even knowing it's happening, but it is the "feeling" of what I
see, that drives me to press the button. There really aren't any recipes or
rules that one can learn  beyond what I said earlier,  "Light -- Eyes --
Action!

Once you start to see these elements, whether you are taking pictures or
not, then your pictures will get better because your experience of seeing
things will make you a better photographer.

Remember most people use thir eyes to avoid banging into telephone poles or
kicking garbage cans. When you see how the light is lighting a subject or
scene, ask the old "Am I on the shadow side?" question. Work at that and
soon you'll press the shutter release at the right time because you will
feel the image and be motivated.

Takes time Jorg, just work at it and soon it'll be happening without you
even knowing you're doing it! :)

I'm getting long winded here and probably still haven't answered your
question. But I hope this helps give you some of the magic formula you are
looking for.

kind regards,

ted

PS: this is a tag on:
<<<I am yearning to be more consistent and I believe that the recipe is:
learn the basic rules of composition and practice, practice, practice.
What else is there?>>>>>>

And you knew the answer all along! :) You know what to do and you've said
it. So get out there and start practising! :) Have a good one. :) T