Subject: Leica Challenge
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 09:31:57 -0500

I have made my first attempt at the "Leica Challenge".  Unfortunately, the
test was flawed.  I did the test as an afterthought late in the afternoon
when I was shooting a model in a park resplendent in Fall colours.  One of
the exposures was with a Nikon F2 with 50/1.4 lens, but I mis-focused the
lens, and had to disregard the picture.  The other problem is a result of
the fact that the sun was setting as I took the pictures, and the light is
different between the Minolta and Leica tests.  AND I didn't fix the
location of the cameras with a tripod, so the angle of view isn't quite the
same from one lens to the next.  All in all, not a very good effort.  When
I showed the pictures to the model, she pointed out the Minolta lens at a
glance, but when I questioned her, I could tell it was because of the
brighter image of the Minolta shot, and had nothing to do with technical
aspects of the lens itself.  The pictures were really quite close.  What is
interesting is a comparison between the 50 Summilux and 50 DR Summicron!  I
can see differences (not necessarily good or bad) between them!  In any
case, the "Challenge" will have to wait for another go, this time I will be
more prepared.

The rest of the shoot, done with my 75/1.4, came out wonderfully.