Subject: Re: why ROM lenses at this stage
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 15:56:02 +0100

At 18:26 +0100 02-11-1997, ChipZHZ wrote:

><< - automatic compensation for exposure accuracy in P and T modes on the R8.
>  >>
>Could you please explain this a bit?
>thanks,
>chip

Brian Bower in his book "Leica reflex photography" (new edition 1997) puts
it in this way: "At this stage the contact strip provides information for
dedicated flash guns and also to enable more precise stopping down of
lenses when the camera is in automatic shutter speed priority or programme
operating modes."

The manual of my R8 confirms this (on page 7 of the Dutch language
version): "Not only a mechanical but also an electronic exposure control
takes place when using lenses with contact strip, and certain lens data
such as the lens' focal length, are passed on to the camera."

The contact strips provides for an additional (electronic) control, e.g.
compensation for light-fall off in the corners. I remember an E-mail
message from Erwin Puts on this list a couple of months ago, in response to
the same question I put on the list.

The thing is, the actual use and potential future of the contact strip
remains somewhat in the dark. Even Leica Solms will apparently not comment
much on the matter.

Greetings,

Pascal