Subject: Re: why ROM lenses at this stage
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 18:00:29 +0100

Hello Chip,

All of my R lenses were bought new this year, so I immediately went for the
ROM version. This seemed logical in view of future R designs (Autofocus R8,
digital back for the R8 and other rumors...). BTW: the price difference
between
ROM and non-ROM versions of the same lens do not correspond to the cost of
upgrading
to ROM (at least not over here, but in Germany the situation is different),
so you
better go for ROM if you buy new.
The only exception was the Summicron-R 50mm f/2.0 non-ROM, for which
the dealer gave me a good price because he wanted to clear his stock of
non-ROM lenses.
I gave the lens to the Leica distributor and they sent it back to Leica
Solms to equip it with
a ROM contact. Cost: approx. 200 USD.

As you probably know, there are two immediate benefits if your lenses are
ROM equipped:
- - automatic adjustment of the zoom reflector of SCA-3000 compatible
flashlights (like my Metz MZ 32-3);
- - automatic compensation for exposure accuracy in P and T modes on the R8.

Pascal
Message created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook
<<<PGP public key available on request>>>