Subject: Re: I need M lens suggestions....28...or 90?
From: Jack & Christine Hamilton <jackham@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 19:32:29 -0600

Joe Berenbaum wrote:

> At 08:08 06/11/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >i'd get a better 50, one that can go a bit closer because i shoot a lot of
> >faces.  either a summi 50 dr or a collaps elmar or summi, if you can find a
> >sooky-m adapter.
> >if that doesn't interest i wud definately go with a 90, again because of
> >people.
> >however, if you shoot 'scapes, land or city, a 28 is obviously invauable,
> >but your 35 could get you through most of that.
> >i don't have my reference stuff near at hand regarding angles of
> >acceptance, but 28 to 35 is 7, whereas 50 to 90 is 40, thereby giving you a
> >very different lens.
> >also i believe the 90 will get you more uses more often (even a bit of
> >sports for instance, like i did last weekend) than the 28, which i see as a
> >specialty lens, whereas the 90 should be in everyone's bag.  the 28 and the
> >135 are on the outside of daily use, 35, 50, 90, very useful...
> >let us know...
> >steven blutter
>
> It is interesting to read that, because I had that same set of lenses
> recommended to me when I first got an M body, and found that although I use
> the 50mm lenses a lot, the 90 only gets used occasionally and the 35 also
> only occasionally. The one lens that I needed but didn't get for a while was
> a 28. I know that its only a little wider than a 35, yet the pictures, to
> me, look quite different, and I greatly prefer that angle of view for a
> moderate wideangle. The landscapes I do with a 28 don't work with a 35- it
> just isn't quite wide enough to do what I want to. I'm now doing 90% of my M
> photography with just a 28 and a 50.
>
> Joe Berenbaum

Joe, and all:

When I first got into the "M" system, I purchased a "different
outfit"...I decided I needed a lot of spread so...I first picked up a
50mm, then a 21mm, and finally a 135mm. This was certainly not a
popular-type outfit to purchase "piece-meal" on the second-hand
market... so...IT WAS VERY REASONABLE! Just because everyone else gets
the 35-50-90 system...DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT IS RIGHT FOR YOU!

THE DISCIPLINE OF "MAKING" THESE THREE FOCAL LENGTHS WORK... was one of
the best things in forcing me to "cut out the crap" and start SEEING
pictures!

Cordially,
Jack Hamilton
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA