Subject: Re: Should I keep M5?
From: Bob Parsons <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 00:24:46 +0000

Anders wrote:
>The Leica M5 is a suberb instrument and I have used my s/h for a good
>couple of years now. But there is one thing to worry gravely about and
>that is that the battery PX 625 used in the M5, Leicameter and others is
>no longer produced and I've been told that there is no real substitute
>for it.
"snip"

Has anyone suggested the MR9 adaptor distributed by C.H.R.I.S. Camera
Services? The MR9 takes a standard silver oxide cell and is the same size
as a PX625. It contains a shottky diode to drop the voltage (on load) to
that of a mercury cell. If the current taken is reasonably constant the
adaptor output voltage is also constant throughout the life of the battery.
This is unlike an alkaline battery and series resistor combination whose
voltage will drop as the battery runs down, giving rise to exposure errors.

I bought an MR9 and spare for a Leicaflex SL2. It gives an error of 1/3 to
1/2 stop at full deflection of the meter.
I can't find my information on C.H.R.I.S at the moment, if you need more
details tell me and I'll find it out for you. I think their US phone number
is 1-800-216-7579.

Even if the adaptor gives a small error, Leica Service may be able to
adjust the camera since the adaptor output voltage is constant. It's worth
asking them. I need to do this for the SL2 and a Leicameter MR.

Unfortunately you may find the PX625s you bought are near the end of their
shelf life, that's the problem I found when I tried to stock up.

Bob Parsons. <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>