Subject: Re: 180/2.8 R lens questions
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 23:50:32 +0000

>Can anyone comment on the differences between the old and current versions
>of the 180/2.8? I know the older one is quite a bit heavier, and I know the
>current one has a different computation, but is the current one also
>noticeably better optically, or did they just make it the same but smaller
>and lighter?

Joe,

I used to have the old serries VIII 180, and now own the current version
and the old one weighed a ton compared to the current 180.  The old one
had a very narrow focusing collar, which I personally found annoying.
About he image quality I really can't say just yet as I have only shot a
few rolls of film with the new one, but all that I have shot look great.
I also do not still have the old one and really can't compare since I
sold the old one over 7 years ago and film stocks have changed
considerably since then.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto