Subject: Roll call...
From: Michael Hintlian <MichaelHintlian@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 11:43:40 -0500

Ok Ted, I'll play. <big grin>

Brethren and Sisters;

Educated at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, studied
photography with Bill Burke at the Museum school and later with Ben
Fernandez.  I am still close to these two teachers to this day...they sti=
ll
are my teachers and still give me the gifts of that relationship.  Also,
MBA, Cornell University (partly from fear and partly I thought I was
missing something) now I'm possibly the only working documentary
photographer with an Ivy MBA in finance.  Through my career I've drifted
from photography to put in time as a professional manager as well as a sa=
lt
water fly fishing guide (I hold a U.S. Coast Guard offshore license)
neither direction lasted.  Although, when I have time, I love to take big=

striped bass from the surf on the fly or cast to big trout anywhere in
Montana...its magic. =

Where my heart is:  working entirely in the humanistic tradition, I prefe=
to work on the longer projects where my thinking and seeing can change an=
thus the image making becomes a challenge.  I am actively at work on a bo=
ok
on Armenia and Nagorno-Karabagh and a new documentary on the construction=

of the Central Artery Tunnel here in Boston -- the largest civil
construction project in the World.  It was my pleasure and honor to show
some of this work at the Leica Historical Society meetings last month.  M=
work has hung at the Whitney Museum in New York, the Museum of Fine Arts,=

Boston, and a lot of other places...working on getting a show in Paris fr=
om
the Armenian project.  I have won awards and grants, etc.  I am constantl=
shooting and constantly examining what is next.

I shoot B&W almost exclusively and use Leica and have since my first summ=
er
job working in a camera store in art school.  Coincidentally, the store I=

worked for is the host of the Kennebunkport Seminar, Park Square Camera. =

That is a whole other story but it was the place that really got me into
the Leica, my own curiosity did the rest.  Kodak Tri-X is my film, D-76 i=
the developer.  =

Ben Fernandez always told me when I asked him about this lens or that len=
that if you are going to be in this business you should have ALL the
lenses.  I think he is right.  Currently I own: =

4 - M6's
2 - M4-P's
21mm f3.4
21mm f2.8
28mm f2.8
35mm f2.0
35mm f1.4 ASPH
50mm f2.0
50mm f1.4
90mm f2.0
135mm f2.8
2 - R6.2's
1 - R6
19mm f2.8
28mm f2.8
28mm f2.8 PC
50mm f2.0
60mm f2.8
90mm f2.0
70-210 f4.0

While this is a lot of stuff (actually, for me, it is too much), my daily=

bag is usually:  M6 with 35mm f2.0 (seems that lens has never come off th=
at
body), R6.2 with 28mm f2.8 (new style), and either another M6 with 50mm
f2.0/f1.4 or an R6 with 60mm f2.8.  The 21mm f2.8 and 70-210 f4.0 are als=
in there most days...looking for a 2X extender which would ensure the zoo=
becomes a permanent part of the daily lineup.  While I love the Vivitar 2=
83
and carried it and the off camera cord all the time, since discovering an=
mastering T-Max P3200, the strobe stays at home.  My meter is the Minolta=

IVF...it is constantly out and used when I shoot color...otherwise, for
black & white  I trust the Leica in-camera meters.

My very simple and small darkroom has V-35, Focomat 1c, and Durst L1200
enlargers.

I am married to a woman from south of the Mason-Dixon line who I am tryin=
to teach to talk like a real Bostonian -- its been tough.  Our son is 7 a=
nd
can handle a Leica just fine.

Other gear used on occasion:  Rollei 3.5E, Mamiya 7 with 65mm lens.  =

This has felt quite indulgent...but good at the same time...thanks to all=

of you for this space.

Michael

p.s.:  With special thanks to Paramahansa Yogananda.