Subject: Roll call...
From: Bill Barrett <barrettb@dialup.websteruniv.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 02:14:08

I'm about a week behind in reading my mail, but saw Michael Hintlian's
"roll call" this morning while logged on; it's great to be in touch with
old friends through the list too! I look forward greatly to that book,
Michael! And like Michael, Ben Fernandez is a teacher to whom I will always
owe a debt (and while I think he's in Europe at the moment, Ben is also a
sometime lurker on the LUG).

Bill Barrett
45 (today, as it happens)
Married 6 years, our first baby due on Christmas
In St. Louis now, but spent most of my adult life in NYC; I still miss
sidewalks, mass transit, and good fresh mozzarella (though it's nice to
have more than a one-bedroom apartment)
I fell into teaching almost 20 years ago (entirely due to Mr. Fernandez),
and love the opportunities to share what I do and love with students. (I
also hope to spare them the huge quantities of paper & film I wasted
becoming self-taught!) I most prefer documentary photography (and am an M
guy), but am also engrossed in digital work. Current research interest in
camera obscura and pre-19th century "history" of forming images. (Fun stuff.)

M6, M4-P, M3 SS, M3 DS, M3 DS ST;
28 Rokkor-M, 35 Summilux, 50 Summicron, 90 Elmar (adapted LTM), 135 Elmarit
(90% of the time, the 28 or 35 are on the camera)
2 IIIf RD (one my first ever Leica, 22 years ago); 50 Elmar LTM
also a Rolleiflex 3.5F, an Olympus XA, and an almost never-used Nikon F

PS: I'm teaching a "freshman seminar" on Art & Politics this semester. Just
a few weeks ago, the students did short presentations on why they thought
government funding of the arts was a good or a bad idea. I think you might
have enjoyed it, and my freshmen would probably be at home on the LUG!
Bill Barrett
St. Louis
barrettb@websteruniv.edu (preferred address for personal mail)
http://www.websteruniv.edu/~barrettb