Subject: Leica vs Audi
From: leicas@isham-research.demon.co.uk (Phil Payne)
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 14:02:26 GMT

In message <971108201415_-1640657846@mrin42.mail.aol.com> Leikon35@aol.com writes:

>  In a message dated 97-11-08 18:29:19 EST, Phil Payne wrote:
>>
>>  A creditable attempt - but you have some way to go.  The Audi quattro
>>  mailing list hosted by Dan Simoes ( http://www.comimbra.ans.net ) is
>>  three times the size.
>>  --
>>  Phil Payne

>   Phil -- It is the QUALITY of the membership, not the  QUANTITY
>   that matters -----
>
>   Marvin Moss

Very true.  However (and this is a very difficult thing to say) - if you
asked me to choose at present, I'd give the nod to the quattro list by
the merest of whiskers.  The Leica list has an excellent atmosphere and
seems populated by some pretty helpful people - but the quattro list
(IMO) has the edge.  We'll see how things develop - there isn't a great
deal in it at all.

(E.g. - one quattro list member offered to help me diagnose a problem
 in the engine management unit.  I shipped it to the USA - at his own
 expense and in his own time he removed the ROM chip, dumped the code,
 disassembled it and sent me a copy.  Another list member offered to
 drive a 400 mile round trip to help another fix an engine.)

Don't get me wrong - this is a _GREAT_ bunch of people.  But just as
the Internet (and especially Usenet) has some very low standards, it
also has some very high ones.  And this group is still young.

- --
Phil Payne