Subject: Leica logo
From: leicas@isham-research.demon.co.uk (Phil Payne)
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 19:24:37 GMT

In message (no message ID)  writes:

> Don't give it a second thought! What this confirms is they aren't bright
> enough to understand that it is a form of free advertising. Actually
> advertising they can't afford to buy!

It means nothing of the sort.

Trademarks are either protected by their owners or they are not.  If
some fly-by-night plagiarist produces an inferior copy of a Leica
product and markets it to the Leica community, one way that Leica will
have to stop them is copyright on the logo.  If we (or any user group)
are allowed to take liberties with the Leica logo, it could be argued
that others are also allowed to use it without permission.

Their protection _has_ to be absolute - they have no alternative.

(BTDT - seven years in the management committee of a German company.)

- --
Phil Payne