Subject: Re: Fast R lens for differential focus effects
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 16:31:32 GMT

At 00:45 09/11/97 -0600, you wrote:
>At 01:44 AM 11/9/97 +0000, you wrote:
>
>>indoors as well as outdoors, what would have the most out-of-focus
>>backgrounds and shallowest plane of focus and be most suitable, all other
>
>No doubt about it, the 180 f/2 apo summicron will do you what you want. :-)
>Eric Welch

No doubt at all, but size, weight and price exclude it from my shortlist,
which has only the 80/1.4 and 180/2.8 on it at the moment.

I did see an interesting article on one of the news groups a while back by
David Rosen, explaining the relationship between focal length, aperture and
degree of background blur given same image size of the main subject. One
thing that came out of that was that the longer focal lengths include less
in the background than the shorter focal lengths and therefore the
backgrounds are less cluttered. What I can't remember was what the
relationship between different focal lengths and apertures actually was- at
some point the background blur of the 80/1.4 will be matched by a longer
f2.8 lens, but how much longer? It might be a case of dropping one f stop
whilst doubling the focal length, which if correct would make the 80/1.4
equivalent to a 160/2 (close to the 180/2 I notice) and a 320/2.8- this
would suggest that the 80/1.4 wiould be the optimum lens for this
application. Can anyone who has used both state whether the 80/1.4 has
noticeably greater background blur than the 180/2.8?

Joe Berenbaum