Subject: Re: Fast R lens for differential focus effects
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 13:58:12 -0600

At 04:31 PM 11/9/97 +0000, you wrote:

>application. Can anyone who has used both state whether the 80/1.4 has
>noticeably greater background blur than the 180/2.8?

It's not a good comparison. Because the difference between lenses has more
to do with perspective, and that is independent of focal length. It's your
distance from the subject and the distance from subject to background that
will make the difference.

But, my answer to you will be that no, the 80 will not fuzz the background
more. The longer focal length will give more of the shallow depth of field
effect. That is, the background sharpness will drop off faster. The
differences between an 80 Summilux and the 180 Elmarit are too significant
to make the comparison very useful. You need both. The best thing to do is
borrow both and shoot them in a situation similar to one like you plan to
use the lens you purchase in. Find out how far from the subject you have to
stand to get the effect, and then figure which one works best for you in
the majority of shooting situations.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.