Subject: Re: One day's work
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 14:52:07 -0800

ted grant wrote:.

> Folks who only travel on their holidays assume we travel in the same
> manner, only believing we do it all the time as a holiday. So one can
> understand why they have difficulty understanding the "suffering" we say we
> have. When, "I'm going to Paris to-morrow on an assignment! :)  "Gee are
> you ever lucky!" :) Yeah! Right!

After dragging along girlfriend on a three week boating shoot as an
assistant earlier this year where we were usually up at 4:30 am,
shooting by 6:30, finished around 9-10pm then dinner and bed by 11:30-12
day after day, she finally said, "Well, now I understand why you aren't
very much fun for a few days after you return from one of these trips."

Especially doing corporate or advertising work, the stress is intense
and we have to be, like a stage performer: "on"    You work on
adrenalin.  The stakes are high.  There are many ways to fail that you
may only discover at the lab.

And there are only two experiences as intense.  One was sailing a 26
foot boat in 65 mph winds and big seas out in the Pacific and watching
the entire boat disappear in the foam and steering for hours to keep her
from broaching.    The other.....well, this is a family LUG, so I won't
discuss the details other than to say I was considerably warmer.

Donal Philby
San Diego