Subject: Opinions Sought: 35mm Summicron R vs M aspheric
From: MyersPete@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 01:48:58 -0500 (EST)

Hi fellow LUGnuts:

In an effort to see where my money is going next, the question of the day is:

What are the imaging differences between the 35mm Summicron R vs the new M
Aspheric?

Two different systems, two different lens approaches. What do you see in the
images that differentiates the two based on the results?

The old 35mm f2 M had a reputation for having the smoothest Bokeh of any
lens. Has this been retatined with the Aspheric? And what of the R?

My R8 with the 28mm f2.8 ROM is taking amazing pictures. My problem is that
the focusing aids are not very helpful at all. Further, the screen smoothness
suffers. I am attempting to address this issue with trying some of the other
screen configurations with aftermarket treatment. Sometimes I think that a
rangefinder approach might be the answer - but I would miss the matrix
metering of the R8 - its always dead on, even when I am not.

Thank you for your comments on the lens image making of the two different
systems.

Pete