Subject: Frans Lanting/previsualization
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:56:47 -0500

Kari wrote:

<<<that e.g. Salgado shoots enormous amounts. From what I hear he shoots
2-3 rolls per day on longer trips. Well, maybe you have to be a grandmaster
to get to that level of confidence.>>>

Hi Kari,

I use film in relation to what is happening and motivating me and  rarely
think about how much film goes through the camera until we the day is over.
 Given the locations Salgado shoots I really find it hard to believe he
only shoots 2-3 rolls a day, grand master or no.

I know that if I'm working on the same subject for several weeks, the
volume of rolls per day goes down dramatically as I begin to see the same
siuation over and over. The only reason I might re-shoot something is
because the light or acton creates a much more powerful image.

Most documentary photographers I know average 10 rolls a day, including
myself, but that means I could say yes I only shoot 2-3 rolls a day, some
days.

Lantings subjects are so powerful and in your face impact that I'm sure he
does do what he says in pre-visualizing, simply because he knows from past
experience and he is looking for very specific photos, therefore not
shooting anything frivolous.

It's experience from working on the same subject for a lengthy period and
learning your subjects every nuance. But go into something cold, no matter
how much research one has done, the first few days is pretty heavy duty
shooting,  as almost everything is turning you on.

Then it slows and you begin to look harder for the little specific moments.
And I'm sure you do the same.

ted