Subject: Re: R cameras rule!
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:33:48 -0600

At 11:18 PM 11/11/97 -0800, you wrote:

>My point is that I have never sent an R Leica in for repair. I have never
>had a single failure, of any mechanism, on any of my R cameras.
>
>As far as I'm concerned, these cameras are tough!
>
>I'm starting to feel guilty.

Don't Jim. You must treat your equipment with a least a modicum of respect.
I always found my R4 cameras to be quite rugged, except for the film
advance. But I think I'm hard on that part, I like to advance my film
quickly, and that might stress them.

One thing I always found about them was they were relatively inexpensive to
repair. Whether it is Leica, or Don Goldberg, they never cost more than
$125 to fix for anything that broke. (An old R4mot overhaul would have been
$350, but it became a paper weight). My lowest repair bill once was $10.

A rather large lady once kicked over my R4/motor and 280 2.8 Apo Telyt,
standing on the end of the lens, at a basketball game when she got excited
at a play. Again, film advance went dead, $125 to fix, and back in four days.

Nikon, if I'm not mistaken, charges $75 to look at a dang camera not under
warranty. Fixed or unfixed. And to fix it, hoo-boy.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a
child.

Ron Wild