Subject: Re: Long Way Around Dept.
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 20:38:03 -0800

At 08:03 AM 11/12/97 -0800, ya'll wrote:
>Afterswift@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> would not the ideal be to do high res scans, manipulate in photoshop and
>> then output to large format BW negative, then go into the darkroom and
>> create magic. --Donal Philby
>> That's like flying to NYC from LA by way of Bombay.
>>
>> Bob
>
>Bob:
>The point is that we often would like to "clean up" images, work on
>shadow detail, get rid of scratches (or telephone poles sticking out of
>someone's head), and in general fix things that require more than just
>simple burning and dodging.   BW is no different than color.  I have
>many images that are "almost" --that a bit of photoshop would make
>marketable or stronger.  Going back to a neg and using traditional
>processes makes just as much sense as when I scan color transparency,
>manipulate in Photoshop and re output to transparency and send to my
>stock photo agency.  It is one way of going to NYC from San Diego and
>actually arriving with images that might sell.
>
>Donal Philby

You are correct Donal. The CORRECT method today is to scan your image (drum
hi-res scan), Photoshop it, then output the Photoshop file to hi-res film
o/p. Usually 4x5. You can then print huge Ciba prints or give it to your
agency. Either way you win.

The drum scan in and film out is about $75 each, for a total of roughly
$150. Depends on original size, resolution wanted, o/p size wanted, etc.
Prices are changing all the time as equipment gets better and cheaper. For
magazine spread size, it's much much cheaper. You can scan on a desktop
(Nikon, Polaroid, etc.), Photoshop, then o/p to 35mm for about $25. It
works. People do it all the time. This process used to be via airbrush at
$100/hr. and you didn't get a new original. Then it went to Scitex digital
which was $250/hr and a minimum charge was about $500 (scan-in, 10min work,
film-out). Ad's hated both airbrush and Scitex because they paid the bucks.
Now the photog can do it all in-house. And for a little more dollars (drum
scan = resolution) you can get an original out that is indistinguishable
from the original original, except fixed. And make Ciba murals if you wish.

Jim