Subject: Re: Speaking of the 80mm f/1.4 Summilux-R ...
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 22:26:47 -0500

At 09:41 PM 11/13/97 -0500, David P Freeman wrote:
>Is there a way to gauge the age of the lens from its serial number?
>Also, has the optical or mechanical configuration of this lens model
>changed since its introduction? Recent examples in mint/mint- condition
>seem to be priced around the $1500 mark; would the extra $300 or so for
>a newer specimen be money well spent?

The short answer is that, in Leica terms, the mere presence of a "Leitz
Wetzlar" engraving on the nummernschild is no indicator of great age or
worthlessness.  It's been less than a decade since this changed:  Leica was
making superb lenses in the 1930's.

There have been no changes in this lens.  If your vendor is Tamarkin, he
and his folks are crystal-clean and honour their return policy ruthlessly.
I have been honoured on the occasions when I have purchased from them.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!