Subject: Re: Airport Security?
From: Bill Barrett <barrettb@dialup.websteruniv.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 15:30:49

This has been interesting. I too use the soft lead bags (and one of the
heavier little cylinders for higher speed film), and haven't seen problems
from X-Ray. I the US, one can request a hand check of the film, and I
believe the security people here are required to do it if you insist. I
know that Ben Fernandez puts his Tri-X in the clear film cans that Fuji
(e.g.) makes, and puts them in a clear plastic bag, which often speeds him
through US checkpoints. I suppose not doing that may slow me down a few
minutes, but security rarely looks through every film can.

As has been mentioned, you can't count on a hand check in other countries.
But it sounds like maybe you can insist in Canada, or at least Qu=E9bec. Is
that the law, Ted, or did you just manage to convince them to do it?

I've never succeeded in getting a hand check in Paris, and I didn't even
try in Israel. (They took my Tiltall apart and inspected each component,
even after X-ray!) But are there any other countries where one can politely
but successfully insist that Leica film must not go through the machine?

(There, I said Leica. And the Tiltall said Leitz.)

I think Michael Hintlian is right, that atmospheric and even ground level
gamma are the biggest risk to TMZ P3200 (hence take the expiration date
very seriously). But I think I remember Ken Lassiter telling me that even
lead bags are no protection for that. Ken?

Bill Barrett
St. Louis
barrettb@websteruniv.edu (preferred address for personal mail)
http://www.websteruniv.edu/~barrettb